Foreign travel and rabies vaccination

The Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) means that you can take your cat abroad with you, provided certain requirements are met. Before travelling, your pet needs to be microchipped, vaccinated against rabies and issued with a Pet Passport.

The Scheme only applies to countries within the EU and certain other listed countries, so it’s vital to check the requirements for your destination country before travelling. For full details visit the DEFRA website ( for the latest information.

If you do take your cat abroad, remember that there may be other diseases or pests which are not found in the UK.

Generic Image 2